Crime

Cahokia men charged in previously unsolved Venice murder


Byron J. Holton
Byron J. Holton Provided photo

Three Cahokia men were charged Wednesday more than eight months after a 41-year-old man was killed during a home invasion in Venice.

A statement from Madison County State’s Attorney Tom Gibbons said Lamarcus D. Jackson, 28, and Byron J. Holton, 26, face three counts each of first degree murder and one count each of armed robbery, home invasion and possession of a weapon by a felon. Undray C. Webb, 26, faces a home invasion charge.

The statement said Venice police responded to a 911 call in the 1200 block of Oriole Street at 10:30 p.m. on Dec. 29, 2014, and found Calvin L. Tally, 41, dead of a gunshot wound to his chest. Witnesses told police that two masked men who police believe were Jackson and Holton kicked in the door to Tally’s home and forced him upstairs at gunpoint. After the intruders shot Tally, they fled the scene with cash and marijuana they’d stolen.

Webb also allegedly participated in the home invasion but police learned he was not with the other intruders when Tally was killed.

Altogether, Jackson and Holton face up to 127 years in prison if convicted on the murder, home invasion, robbery and weapons charges. The home invasion charge against Webb carries a 25-year sentence.

Gibbons said he was “satisfied” the work of multiple police agencies resulted in charges “in a previously unsolved murder.”

This story was originally published August 5, 2015 at 4:40 PM with the headline "Cahokia men charged in previously unsolved Venice murder."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER