Coronavirus

Sunday live coronavirus updates: Illinois releases data on nursing home outbreaks

Here is a roundup of coronavirus news you need to know Sunday:

Southern Illinois has seven nursing home outbreaks

Seven nursing homes in southern Illinois have had coronavirus clusters, state data showed Sunday.

Those affected are BRIA of Belleville, Colonnade and Memorial Care Center in St. Clair County; Edwardsville Care Center and Stearns Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Madison County; Carlyle HealthCare Center in Clinton County; and Garden Place Independent & Assisted Living in Monroe County.

The Illinois Department of Public Health released the information on long term care facilities with COVID-19 outbreaks on Sunday.

According to the data, St. Clair County has had two coronavirus deaths associated with outbreaks at nursing homes: one at BRIA of Belleville and one at Memorial Care Center. BRIA of Belleville had 11 positive cases as of Sunday afternoon and Colonnade had two.

Though the state’s data showed Memorial Care Center to have 54 positive cases, Anne Thomure, the facility’s director of marketing and communications, said their total number of cases was 13 as of Sunday afternoon.

In Madison County, Edwardsville Care Center has had one coronavirus death and two cases. Stearns Nursing and Rehabilitation Center has had one case.

The Illinois Department of Public Health’s data showed that Garden Place in Monroe County had 49 cases and two deaths associated with COVID-19 clusters at nursing homes. However, Garden Place has previously reported it has six deaths associated with an outbreak there.

In Clinton County, Carlyle HealthCare Center has had four cases.

The long term care facility data can be found at dph.illinois.gov/covid19/long-term-care-facility-outbreaks-covid-19.

Madison County reports eight death

Madison County reported an eighth coronavirus death on Sunday, but did not release the patient’s age, gender or underlying conditions.

The previous reported deaths in the region occurred in St. Clair County, 18; Madison County, which now has eight; and Monroe County, seven.

Illinois to receive PPE shipment from China

During the state’s daily COVID-19 news conference on Sunday, Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced that Illinois will receive an airlift of Personal Protective Equipment, or PPE, on Monday.

The equipment will come from China, as most PPE does, Pritzker said. The shipment will be the second in the last two weeks.

“We are competing with other states, other countries and even our own federal government for supplies,” Pritzker said in reference to why the state needs a shipment from abroad.

He said if an airlift is what it takes to protect essential workers, then he would use it without hesitation.

O’Fallon hospital discharges husband and wife coronavirus patients

On Friday, COVID-19 patient Clifford McIntyre, 49, was discharged from St. Elizabeth’s Hospital after an eight-day hospitalization, according to a spokeswoman for St. Elizabeth’s.

The Glen Carbon man was the first patient at St. Elizabeth’s to leave after needing to be intubated, so nurses and doctors celebrated with a cheering send-off.

McIntyre’s wife Casonda, 47, waved to him through a window from her hospital bed. She was still hospitalized with the respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus when he went home. St. Elizabeth’s said she was discharged Saturday afternoon after a seven-day hospitalization.

Nurse Kim Presson was Casonda McIntyre’s main caregiver and her connection to Clifford McIntyre and how he was doing while they were both hospitalized, according to the spokeswoman.

“I know that as a nurse there will be time later in my career that I will need to dig deep again in service to my patients, and this will be the motivational experience that I will reflect on,” Presson said in a news release Saturday, when she saw Casonda McIntyre leave the hospital.

Clifford McIntyre was admitted April 9, according to St. Elizabeth’s. He spent five days in the intensive care unit, where he was intubated for two days. Casonda McIntyre was admitted April 11. She was never intubated.

As of April 17, when Clifford McIntyre was released, another 16 COVID-19 patients were still receiving care at the O’Fallon hospital, the spokeswoman said.

Belleville school bus driver dies

A Belleville school bus driver died from complications of the COVID-19 respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus.

Belleville High School District 201 announced Saturday that Frank Massey had died.

“It was extremely important to Mr. Massey that, during the school closure, we continue to provide meals for students,” the district stated. “During this difficult time, he was a helper. His dedication to our district and especially to the students was exemplary.”

Southwestern Illinois coronavirus cases by county

Here’s a breakdown of the number of people to test positive for COVID-19 in southwestern Illinois as of Sunday:

  • St. Clair: 287 positives, 18 deaths, 1,233 tests administered, 67 tests pending
  • Madison: 180 positives, eight deaths, 58 hospitalized, 67 recovered
  • Randolph: 58 positives, one death, three hospitalized, 35 recovered

  • Monroe: 57 positives, seven deaths

  • Clinton: 44 positives, 204 tests administered, six hospitalized, 11 recovered

  • Macoupin: 21 positives, 223 tests administered, two tests pending, 11 recovered

  • Jersey: Eight positives, five recovered
  • Washington: Seven positives

  • Bond: Four positives, 51 tests administered, four tests pending, two recovered
  • Calhoun: One positive, one recovered
  • Perry: One positive

Local, state, nation, world cases totals

As of Sunday, the latest statistics available showed:

Postponed and canceled events

The News-Democrat has compiled a list of events in Illinois and St. Louis that have been canceled due to concerns about coronavirus.

You can find the list at BND.com.

Want to help? Here’s what you need to know

The BND has compiled a list of ways you can help during the coronavirus pandemic.

Go to BND. com to learn about the opportunities to volunteer your time or donate to help communities in the metro-east without putting yourself or others at risk.

You can sew face masks, read stories for people with vision loss and deliver meals to seniors.

If you know of a recognized charitable organization looking for help that isn’t listed, please tell us about it; send an email to newsroom@bnd.com or fill out the BND’s Southwest Illinois coronavirus service and assistance guide online at BND.com.

Get the latest news on coronavirus

BND.com will keep you updated through the day with information about the spread of coronavirus through southwestern Illinois.

You can also find the most complete and up-to-date information from government sites including:

How to contact the BND with tips, concerns

If you have suggestions about something for the BND to cover regarding the coronavirus pandemic or if you see a report that sounds suspicious on social media or anywhere else, please drop us a note at newsroom@bnd.com and include a link. We’ll check it out.

If you’re a health-care worker, we’d like to hear from you

The BND would like to speak with nurses, doctors and other health care professionals who are on the front lines caring for patients in doctor’s offices, clinics and hospitals during this difficult time. We’re interested in hearing about your challenges and rewards, frustrations and accomplishments. How is this affecting you? Send us an email at newsroom@bnd.com.

Recovering from COVID-19? The BND would like to talk to you

Have you recovered from coronavirus or are you in the process of recovering from COVID-19? We would like to hear from you on how you dealt with the respiratory disease. Send us an email at newsroom@bnd.com.

BND reporter Kelsey Landis contributed to this report.

This story was originally published April 19, 2020 at 5:00 AM.

Hana Muslic
Belleville News-Democrat
Hana Muslic has been a public safety reporter for the Belleville News-Democrat since August 2018, covering everything from crime and courts to accidents, fires and natural disasters. She is a graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and her previous work can be found in The Lincoln Journal-Star and The Kansas City Star.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER