Coronavirus

St. Clair County care center has no COVID cases, official says after ‘reporting error’

(This story was corrected June 26. The original version included incorrect information about a location experiencing a coronavirus outbreak. The information was provided by the St. Clair County Health Department Thursday and subsequently corrected by the agency Friday.)

The St. Clair County Health Department on Friday said a “reporting error” led to its announcement Thursday that the coronavirus had spread to another long-term care center.

Health officials said Thursday that Willow Creek Nursing and Rehab in Belleville had two coronavirus cases, the minimum amount to be considered an outbreak of the virus and be included in the county’s daily reports. It was removed from the list of locations with outbreaks in Friday’s update.

“Willow Creek will not be on our list, as they have no cases and they are not at outbreak status,” said Samantha Bierman, emergency response coordinator for the health department.

Residents at long-term care centers are among the most vulnerable to severe illness or death from the coronavirus, which causes the COVID-19 respiratory disease.

Here is the information the health department provided Thursday on locations that have been in “outbreak status,” with two or more residents or staff who are COVID-19 positive or have COVID-19-like symptoms, since the coronavirus pandemic began. The health department does not provide a breakdown of how many residents or employees were affected. The numbers are cumulative:

  • 156-bed facility Four Fountains in Belleville — 104 people affected, including 27 deaths (No change reported since June 12. First reported April 19.)
  • 116-bed facility Cedar Ridge of Lebanon — 71 people, including 10 deaths (No change reported since Monday. First reported May 27.)
  • 53-bed facility New Athens Home for the Aged — 57 people, including seven deaths (No change reported since June 21. First reported May 19.)
  • 90-bed facility Lebanon Care Center — 56 people, including 10 deaths (One more person than what was reported Wednesday. First reported April 24.)
  • 140-bed facility BRIA of Belleville — 51 people, including six deaths (No change reported since June 20. First reported April 19.)
  • 108-bed facility St. Paul’s Home in Belleville — 49 people, including 14 deaths (Four more people than what was reported Wednesday. First reported April 24.)
  • 82-bed facility Memorial Care Center in Belleville — 44 people, including five deaths (No change reported since June 8. First reported April 19.)
  • 94-bed facility Swansea Rehab and Care Center — 29 people, including six deaths (No change reported since Monday. First reported May 12.)
  • 133-bed facility BRIA of Cahokia — 25 people, including two deaths (Based on the state’s June 19 data because BRIA of Cahokia is outside of the St. Clair County Health Department’s jurisdiction. First reported May 2.)
  • Cedarhurst of Shiloh — 13 people (No change reported since June 5. First reported May 24.) Denise Bentele, spokeswoman for Cedarhurst of Shiloh, said previously that 12 residents there had contracted the virus but none of them were positive anymore. She said one employee was positive and not working.
  • Caritas Family Solutions in Belleville region — 12 people (No change reported since June 5. First reported May 4.)
  • Knollwood Retirement Center in Caseyville — Eight people, including one death (No change reported since May 25. First reported May 14.)
  • Colonnade Senior Living in O’Fallon — Five people (No change reported since June 7. First reported April 19.)
  • Help at Home in O’Fallon — Five people (No change reported since May 4. First reported May 4.)
  • Caseyville Nursing and Rehab — Four people (No change reported since June 17. First reported May 28.)
  • TDL Inc. in Belleville — Four people (No change reported since May 6. First reported May 6.)
  • Dammert Center at the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows — Two people (No change reported since Tuesday. First reported Tuesday.) Brenda Fedak, spokeswoman for the health department, said the facility reported one positive test result and one presumptive positive to health officials. The Esquiline, which runs Dammert, said the only confirmed positive was a resident who subsequently tested negative. The Esquiline President Jeff Baker said there were no positives at Dammert and no residents or employees with symptoms as of Wednesday.

  • Cedars of Lebanon — Two people (No change reported since Tuesday. First reported Tuesday.)
  • 120-bed facility Mercy Rehab and Care Center in Swansea — Two people (No change reported since June 17. First reported June 17.)
  • Atrium of Belleville — Two people (No change reported since June 8. First reported June 8.) Roberto Roma, the Atrium of Belleville’s executive director, said previously that the two people affected by COVID-19 were an employee who quarantined and a resident who moved out of the facility in March.
  • Help at Home in Belleville — Two people (No change reported since May 23. First reported May 23.)

The website medicare.gov records the number of beds for Medicare- and Medicaid-certified nursing homes.

This story was originally published June 25, 2020 at 4:26 PM.

Related Stories from Belleville News-Democrat
Lexi Cortes
Belleville News-Democrat
The metro-east is home for investigative reporter Lexi Cortes. She was raised in Granite City and Edwardsville and graduated from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville in 2014. Lexi joined the Belleville News-Democrat in 2014 and has won multiple state awards for her investigative and community service reporting. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER