Metro-East News

Coroner: It will be 4-6 weeks before cause of death released in Kaskaskia case

It will likely take a month to six weeks before results of the investigation into the death of a New Baden man who died in the Kaskaskia River are released.

“Some other things have been brought to our attention that we’re looking into,” Clinton County Coroner Phillip Moss said Thursday about the delay.

Joshua Toennies, 26, was boating with friends Saturday night when he jumped into the river just south of Illinois 160/177 and did not resurface. His body was found Tuesday about half a mile down river from where he was last seen alive.

GUESTBOOK: Offer your condolences to the family of Joshua Toennies

Searchers said the river was swollen and full of debris at the time Toennies went missing because of flooding.

Moss did not reveal the nature of the information or who brought it forward. But he said that they delay is necessary to get the results of toxicology testing before a cause of death can be determined.

Earlier this week, Moss said he was hoping X-rays would reveal if Toennies suffered an injury when he dived in or if he drowned. But he said Thursday that results of the X-rays would not be released until the investigation is completed.

Contact reporter Scott Wuerz at swuerz@bnd.com or 618-239-2626. Follow him on Twitter: @scottwuerzBND.

This story was originally published August 13, 2015 at 11:44 AM with the headline "Coroner: It will be 4-6 weeks before cause of death released in Kaskaskia case."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER