Watch the most popular videos on BND.com this week:
▪ Federal marshals’ hunt for an Illinois man in connection with a weekend carjacking and killing in St. Louis ended Thursday afternoon in Washington Park, where a barrage of gunfire left the 21-year-old suspect dead.
Witnesses said the dead man, Devante Gates, who also was wanted in connection with a recent East St. Louis homicide, ignored orders from police and fired on them.
▪ Illinois State Police Master Sgt. Mark Doiron said the U.S. Marshal Service’s Fugitive Task Force was in Washington Park on Thursday afternoon searching for Devante Gates. Police said Gates had acquaintances in the area.
▪ Police searched for a missing woman, who was possibly suicidal, in Pleasant Ridge Park in Fairview Heights. Law enforcement eventually located her.
▪ City leaders said they were a little annoyed but not worried about graffiti that appeared overnight in downtown Belleville.
On Wednesday morning city workers removed spray-painted vandalism from both Belleville City Hall and the former Meredith Home on the Public Square.
And here’s one video you may have missed:
▪ Neil Wegrzyn’s monument to honor men from the Belleville area killed in the Vietnam War will be dedicated on Memorial Day.
His plan was approved as an Eagle Scout project two years ago. He has been working tirelessly since, researching newspaper articles, raising money and speaking to VFWs, American Legions and local businesses to gain support for it.