Coronavirus forces cancellation of Belleville Oktoberfest and Chili Cook-off
Two of the popular festivals in Belleville have been canceled because of concerns over the spread of the coronavirus, organizers of the two events announced Monday.
The 40th annual Belleville Oktoberfest, which had been scheduled for Sept. 18-20, and the 37th annual Belleville Chili Cook-off, which had been scheduled for Oct. 9-10, will not be held this year.
The events were canceled as public health officials have been dealing with a spike in COVID-19 cases in the metro-east following the July 4th holiday.
“We wish we were not making this announcement but the health and safety of our community is our top priority,” Wendy Pfeil, president and CEO of the Greater Belleville Chamber of Commerce, said in a news release about the Chili Cook-off, which is sponsored by the chamber.
Oktoberfest is sponsored by the Belleville Sister Cities, the Belleville Exchange Club and the Belleville Shriners Club.
The Oktoberfest is the “biggest fundraiser” each year for the sponsoring groups, according to the news release.
“But, after much deliberation between our organizations, and our city government, it was unanimously decided that it is in the best interest not only for these organizations, but the general public as well, to cancel this year’s event,” the Oktoberfest news release said.
Organizers of both events plan to host their festivals in 2021.
Other Belleville events canceled this year because of coronavirus included Art on the Square, the Shriners Parade and Tour de Belleville.
This story was originally published July 20, 2020 at 2:26 PM.