O’Fallon pleads for cooperation before city moves backwards on COVID-19 restrictions
Growing numbers of coronavirus cases and increased hospitalizations in the metro-east (Region 4) are giving local leaders in O’Fallon a cause for concern.
In O’Fallon, Mayor Herb Roach is urging residents to do whatever they can to stop the spread so the city does not have to face more restrictions and revert to an earlier phase plan.
“I have a request — I just want residents to think about others as we go through this COVID crisis,” he said. “We have less than a percentage point before we go back to where we were before. That will mean businesses will have to close down, people being unemployed. We don’t want to see that.”
Roach said at this time, the COVID testing positivity rate in St. Clair County is 25 percent above the maximum rate (8 percent) required to stay in Phase 4 type operations.
“Region Four, which includes the city of O’Fallon has seen an increased COVID positivity rate and increased hospital admissions. Governor (J.B.) Pritzker has gone on record that unless our region is more successful in stemming the increase in new coronavirus cases, the state would have to step in, and business closures and restrictions will be reinstated.
“If the state has to step in, they have indicated that they would put into place mitigation options that could include reduction or elimination of indoor dining, salons and personal care, suspension of all in-person or non-essential retail, and limits on gatherings. These mitigation options are similar to what O’Fallon had to go through during Phase 3 and Phase 2 of the Governor’s Restore Illinois Plan,” he said.
“They had an enormous economic toll on the city, its residents and businesses. A return to these tighter restrictions would cause greater hardship and heartache during these already difficult times,” Roach wrote in this week’s mayor’s column.
“Last week, it was already dangerous. I have learned that we have moved up another .4 percent,” he said.
“The president and the governor have suggested to please wear masks,” he said. “In my own family, my wife wasn’t one to favor masks, but she said, ‘I will do this if it will protect our children, grandchildren and friends ... knowing that I did the right thing.’”
Roach said he knew some people object to wearing masks.
“We need to ask you to take all precautions to help stop the spread of COVID-19 and help keep our citizens safe, and our businesses open. Please wear a mask or face covering when in public and practice social distancing. Wash your hands. And, if you feel sick, please stay at home. This is our fight and only with all of us working together are we going to win it. Having the state shut down our businesses again is not a good option and could be devastating to many,” he said.
O’Fallon Police Chief Eric Van Hook, who dispenses the Illinois Department of Public Health metrics daily, said people are expressing concern.
By the COVID-19 numbers
As of Monday, there had been 225 cases and three deaths in the 62269 (O’Fallon) zip code. Shiloh is included in the 62221 zip code, and those numbers were 305 cases and nine deaths as of Monday. Scott Air Force Base (62225) had 14 cases and one death as of Monday.
St. Clair County is in Region 4, along with Bond, Clinton, Madison, Monroe, Randolph and Washington counties. Overall, as of Progress deadline Tuesday morning, in St. Clair County, there had been 3,530 people test positive, with 151 deaths. Deaths range in age from under 10 to in the 90s.
Also as of Tuesday morning, there were 41 patients currently hospitalized in St. Clair County, but none were on ventilators.
Additionally, the state was reporting 172,655 positive cases and 7,416 deaths as of Progress deadline. The Illinois Department of Employment Security reported in July that 14.6 percent of state residents are unemployed.
“Over the past week there has been a lot of questions and rumors that the state will soon be moving back to Phase 3. To date, we have not received any notice indicating Region 4 will be moving back to Phase 3,” Van Hook said Monday.
Restore Illinois Plan
The Restore Illinois Plan is a five-phased plan, guided by metrics, about reopening the state, with updates as more research and sciences develop. On July 24, Pritzker re-issued a disaster proclamation and restricted gatherings to no more than 50 people. He extended executive orders through Aug. 22.
The state has issued guidelines — “Actions to Combat a Resurgence of COVID-19” — which lists the options/tiers the state will implement based on sustained increases in metrics.
In Phase 4 since June 26, the city had rolled out more openings and activities, and O’Fallon businesses worked hard to maintain safety measures in accordance with the latest public health recommendations to make sure customers felt safe.
While people returned to work, shopping, dining out and engaging in social and recreational activities, social distancing and face coverings were part of the recommendations in keeping up with CDC and Illinois Department of Health guidelines.
Bike Surgeon features socially distanced bike rides
Jon Greenstreet of Bike Surgeon kicked off socially distanced bike rides in July — basically revamped group rides. His business is known for organizing outdoor events (categories of group bike rides A — 20+mph; B — 17-19 mph; C — 13-15 mph; and D — group family relaxed pace) but none had been held since the mid-March lockdown.
“We figure it is safer to be outside. We’ve had so many customers ask us to bring the rides back. This started our normal year ride rotations. Now that we’re in Phase 4, we can do it,” he said. “’Social distancing’ rides will be taking the place of our normal group rides for the foreseeable future. Getting some fresh air and sunshine outside is something we all need.”
Further information on the dates and times can be found at his website. Bike Surgeon is also giving the option of daily routes for everyone to enjoy, at peoples’ own pace and time.
Businesses remain closed, some requiring masks
Some businesses remain closed. Movie theaters that had planned to open in mid-July with new Hollywood releases have not, including Marcus Theatres’ O’Fallon 15 Cine and St. Clair Cinema in Fairview Heights. They operate nine theatres in the St. Louis metropolitan area and have locations in 17 states. When they do open, they have enhanced safety protocols.
“We continue to prioritize the safety and well-being of Marcus Theatres and Movie Tavern by Marcus guests and associates, and have been very thoughtful about the reopening process we are implementing,” said Rolando Rodriguez, chairman-CEO of Marcus Theatres. “We know people are eager to return to theatres for movies on the big screen provided they feel confident that we’ve created a safe and comfortable environment — and that consumer confidence is very important to us. The steps are in place, associates are trained, and we are now ready and excited to welcome guests back.”
Many local businesses are requiring customers to wear masks.
Economic impact in O’Fallon, with some good & bad news
Regarding the economic impact on the city, in April, staff estimated that there could be as much as a $2.2 million shortfall in tax revenue in the general fund for the FY21 budget.
The good news is the general fund shortfall is less than the city estimated after actual data on tax revenues for May were received.
Budget Director Sandy Evans told the council’s Finance and Administration Committee on Monday about some favorable outcomes to date.
“We expected tax revenue for May to be $749,400, but we actually received $1,091,023. However, a comparison to the previous year still shows an overall 9 percent reduction. Sales tax for May decreased by 12 percent and use tax increased 39 percent from the previous year. Income tax increased by 6 percent, making up for some of the shortfall from the previous month. Local food and beverage tax decreased 41 percent, but the city also deferred payments and those are not due until starting in July,” Evans said.
On the unfortunate side, video gaming declined 100 percent since all gaming establishments are closed. Hotel/motel tax, which is a not a General Fund revenue, decreased by 68 percent from the previous year.
“We will continue to monitor revenues as they come in and will review the list of interim cuts and deferrals submitted by the departments to make up any shortfall,” she said.
Additional numbers breakdown, meeting update
To date: Actual revenue loss comparison for the months of March, April & May to 2019 for general fund tax revenue is down $490,778. Actual revenue loss comparison to 2019 for the months of March, April and May to 2019 for hotel/motel is down $296,886 Total for both: $787,664.
Compared to internal staff estimates for the months of March, April and May for General Fund tax revenue is $814,071 higher than estimated and for hotel/motel tax is $108,865 higher than estimated, with total for both $922,93.
Starting Monday, Aug. 3, the city plans to begin holding council and committee meetings at City Hall with in-person attendance again. It will be limited by the number of open and available spots. Remote participation will still be encouraged for the council, staff and public. However, if in-person attendance is elected the following guidelines must be followed:
- Those in attendance are to maintain 6 feet of distance between them and others.
- All attendees must have a seat and must remain in that seat during the meeting, unless traveling to enter or exit the meeting room. During the public comment session, those who wish to make a comment may exit their seat to move towards the microphone. They must return to their seat after their comment is completed.
- It is recommended all those in attendance wear appropriate face coverings while in City Hall and during the entirety of the meeting.
- Public attendance will normally be restricted to 10 people. A sign-up sheet will be available in the City Hall lobby beginning on the Wednesday prior to the posted meeting. Normally, the first 10 people signed up to attend the meeting in-person will be permitted into City Hall to attend the meeting in-person. All others will be permitted to attend the meeting virtually through Zoom.
- Attendance by City Staff will be through the virtual platform Zoom. In-person attendance may be required by the city administrator’s discretion.
- Any person experiencing COVID like symptoms, is COVID positive, or has had certified exposure to anyone with COVID like symptoms or are COVID positive should not attend in-person.
- In the event there is a certified exposure or COVID positive event by any member in attendance of a council or committee meeting, the city may return to virtual-only meeting attendance.
This story was originally published July 28, 2020 at 12:05 PM.