Crime

Former southern Illinois coroner faces aggravated criminal sexual abuse charges

Troy Cannon, who began serving as Marion County deputy coroner in 2000 and became coroner in 2012, is shown taking the oath of office in an undated file photo. He left office last year.
Troy Cannon, who began serving as Marion County deputy coroner in 2000 and became coroner in 2012, is shown taking the oath of office in an undated file photo. He left office last year. Provided
6/27/25 Update: This article has been updated with information about the time Troy Cannon spent in Iraq.

Troy Cannon, the former Marion County coroner, has been charged with seven counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.

The charges were filed in connection with the sexual abuse of two girls under the age of 18 that occurred at Cannon’s home between January and March 18, Marion County Sheriff Kevin Cripps said.

Cannon, 63, was arrested Wednesday at his home in Iuka, which is east of Salem off U.S. 50, and was being held in the Marion County Jail in Salem Thursday, Cripps said.

Centralia attorney Brian Wernsman, who was appointed to represent Cannon, could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Cripps said the investigation began after the family of the victims contacted the sheriff’s department in March.

Marion County Court records show Cannon was ordered to be detained by Circuit Judge Amanda Ade-Harlow on Wednesday since he “presents a serious threat of harm to the minor children and their siblings.”

The charges indicate the victims are under 18 and the person charged had a “position of trust, authority, or supervision in relation to the victim.”

A preliminary hearing for Cannon is scheduled for July 2.

Cannon was elected coroner in 2012 and was reelected in 2016 and 2020. He lost the Republican primary last year and his term ended in November.

Before he was elected coroner, Cannon had served as a deputy coroner.

While he was coroner, Cannon was criticized by the family members of Clender Edmond Jr., a former St. Clair County man who had been killed in Marion County in December 2019. They said Cannon refused to release Edmond’s remains for 13 months, even after police and prosecutors no longer needed them as evidence. At that time, Cannon did not return calls to the Belleville News-Democrat.

After complaining to other Marion County officials, the family received Edmond’s ashes in early 2021.

In December 2020, Cannon shared a Facebook post that had a fake logo for President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris that read “Joe and the Hoe.”

In 2017, Cannon ignited a Facebook firestorm by sharing a meme that showed a bearded man sitting on a toilet, along with the Starbucks coffee logo. The caption read, “This is a Muslim they don’t use toilet paper they use their hand. This is Starbucks they vow to hire 10,000 Muslims. Enjoy your coffee.” Cannon got both positive and negative feedback on the post. He responded that he knew about Muslim toilet etiquette from his time working in Iraq.

This story was originally published June 27, 2025 at 6:00 AM.

Related Stories from Belleville News-Democrat
Mike Koziatek
Belleville News-Democrat
Mike Koziatek is a former journalist for the Belleville News-Democrat
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER