Illinois Republicans criticize unconfirmed parole board members after Paula Sims decision
Republicans on Thursday criticized an independent board for its decision to grant parole to Paula Sims, an Alton mother who killed two of her baby girls in the 1980s.
Of the 14 Prisoner Review Board members, 10 are unconfirmed as required by the Illinois Constitution, according to Illinois Senate Republicans. The board voted 12-1 to grant Sims her release after 30 years in prison.
Four of those 10 have served unconfirmed for more than two years by skirting a rule that requires them to be confirmed within 60 session days, said Senate Republican spokesperson Ellie Leonard. Gov. J.B. Pritzker withdrew their appointments and reappointed them to skirt the requirement, Leonard said.
Three state Senate Republicans — Jason Plummer of Edwardsville, Terri Bryant of Murphysboro and Steve McClure of Springfield — released a statement criticizing the board’s decision.
“It’s the gravity of these crimes and the heavy responsibility that these board members hold that make it vital and imperative that they go through the constitutionally-required vetting process and come before the Illinois Senate for confirmation,” the senators wrote. “Governor Pritzker is circumventing that process to avoid transparency and legislative oversight over his hand-picked appointees, and his allies in the legislature are complicit in allowing him to do so.”
A metro-east Democrat also criticized the board’s decision.
“At the time of her trial, Sims created a fabricated story under oath, showed no remorse for murdering her daughters and as a result, worked to delegitimize mothers who suffer from postpartum mental health issues,” said state Sen. Rachelle Crowe of Glen Carbon in a statement. “The decision to grant parole to Sims is truly insulting to those whose lives were destroyed by her crimes. To secure justice for victims and protect the integrity of our criminal justice system, individuals must be held accountable for their vile actions.”
Republicans first brought attention to the unconfirmed members at a news conference in May.
The governor’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday, but previously told Capitol News Illinois it is “routine” for the governor to withdraw appointees “so that the Senate has more time to consider the appointments.”
This story was originally published October 28, 2021 at 2:18 PM.