Sports

Helio Castroneves excited to be coming back to Gateway

It was 14 years ago when Helio Castroneves surged to a late win in an IndyCar race at Gateway Motorsports Park in Madison.

Since then, Castroneves has gone on to win a third Indianapolis 500 in 2009 after capturing back-to-back crowns in 2001 and 2002. A native of Sao Paulo, Brazil, Castroneves has captured 19 of his 29 career titles since winning at Gateway in 2003.

On Aug. 26, both Castroneves and IndyCar racing will return to Gateway for the first time since he took the checkered flag in Madison.

A member of Team Penske, Castroneves will be one of six Indianapolis 500 winners competing in the inaugural Bommarito Automotive Group 500 presented by Valvoline at Gateway.

Castroneves, who barely missed a fourth win at Indianapolis in May when he placed second for the third time, said he has good memories of his previous runs at Gateway.

“I’m biased. But this place (Gateway) is very special to me,” Castroneves said. “That time in 1999 when I used to race for Hogan (Racing Team) and doing so well here, helped me get that big jump, that jump the next level to where I was able to join Team Penske.

“I love this place. We almost won in 1999 when we lost to Michael Andretti, but we won the last time we were here, so hopefully we can come back later this month and repeat.”

The other former Indianapolis 500 winners who will compete are Takuma Sato, Alexander Rossi, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Tony Kanaan and Scott Dixon.

Tickets for the Bommarito Automotive Group 500 presented by Valvoline can be purchased online at www.gatewaymsp.com/indycar, or by calling the Gateway ticket office at 618-215-8888. Tickets start at $35. Kids 15 and younger receive free general admission with a paid adult.

This story was originally published August 3, 2017 at 9:02 PM with the headline "Helio Castroneves excited to be coming back to Gateway."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER