Here’s a look at the St. Louis Cardinals as they make moves during baseball’s offseason and try to improve the roster ahead of the 2019 season. The ultimate goal for the Redbirds? Get back to the postseason after missing out in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
The Cardinals have been tied to some of the top free agents available. Here’s what St. Louis would have to give up if they signed one of the six players who rejected a qualifying offer.
Team President Bill DeWitt III also is on record as saying the Cardinals have the payroll room to add one of the offseason’s premier free agents.
St. Louis Cardinals President of Baseball Operations John Mozeliak said the team would still like to upgrade the bullpen, find a left handed bat and add a backup catcher to the roster during the Winter Meetings.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
St. Louis Cardinals free agents
- Matt Adams
- Bud Norris
- Tyson Ross - signed with Philadelphia on Dec. 10 to a 1 year, $5.75 million deal.
- Tyler Lyons
- Edward Mujica
- Francisco Pena
- Adam Wainwright - resigned Oct. 11 to a 1 year, $2 million deal. The contract includes incentives.
St. Louis Cardinals trades
- December 5 - Cardinals trade Luke Weaver, Carson Kelly, Andy Young and a Compensation Round B draft pick to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Paul Goldschmidt
- December 11 - Cardinals trade Patrick Widsom to the Texas Rangers for Drew Robinson
St. Louis Cardinals free agent signings
- Hunter Cervenka, Tommy Layne, Williams Perez, Harold Arauz, Mike Hauschild - signed Nov. 19 to minor league deals with invitations to spring training
- Chris Beck - signed Nov. 30 to minor league deal with invitation to spring training
St. Louis Cardinals waiver claims
- Greg Garcia - claimed on waivers Nov. 1 by the San Diego Padres
- Matt Bowman - claimed on waivers Nov. 2 by the Cincinnati Reds
- Conner Greene - claimed on waivers Nov. 26 by the Kansas City Royals
- Claimed Ryan Meisinger on Dec. 10 from Baltimore Orioles
- Lost Chris Ellis to Texas Rangers in Rule 5 draft on Dec. 13
St. Louis Cardinals trade/free agent rumors