Coronavirus

Thursday live updates on coronavirus: New cases in St. Clair, Madison, Clinton counties

READ MORE


Keep up with all the coronavirus news in southwestern Illinois

Stay updated with the events in southwestern Illinois that have been canceled or postponed because of coronavirus concerns.

Expand All

Here’s a roundup of coronavirus news on Thursday.

New COVID-19 cases in metro-east

St. Clair and Madison counties each announced three new coronavirus cases on Thursday.

In St. Clair County, the new patients include a man in his 40s, a man in his 70s and a woman in her 20s. The St. Clair County Health Department said it is believed they were all exposed to the virus in the community.

Details about the new Madison County patients were not immediately available.

Another person has also tested positive for coronavirus in Clinton County, according to test results from Thursday. A man in his 30s is the county’s fifth positive case.

The Clinton County Health Department said he had contact with a confirmed positive COVID-19 patient in California. He is from out-of-state but had been working in Clinton County and was diagnosed there. The health department said he is now quarantined at home in another state.

On Wednesday, seven others tested positive for COVID-19 in the metro-east. The BND initially reported six new cases Wednesday because the state’s tally at 2:30 p.m. did not include one resident whose test result came back positive on Wednesday afternoon. That resident is a woman in her 60s from Monroe County who health officials say had contact with a COVID-19 patient.

Twenty-eight coronavirus cases have been confirmed in the metro-east as of Thursday with the new cases in St. Clair, Madison and Clinton counties and the previously unreported case in Monroe County. No deaths have been reported in southwestern Illinois.

In total, there are now 13 cases in St. Clair County, six in Madison, five in Clinton, one in Washington and three in Monroe.

In Illinois, the total amount of cases rose by 673, and seven new deaths were announced, Dr. Ngozi Ezike, director of the Illinois Department of Public Health, said Thursday.

Total state and national cases

As of Thursday, the latest numbers available from the Illinois Department of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed:

In Illinois: 2,538 coronavirus cases and 26 deaths.

In the U.S.: 83,836 cases and 1,209 deaths.

New cases in St. Louis City, County

There were 69 confirmed cases of coronavirus in St. Louis City and 143 cases in St. Louis County as of Thursday, according to the City and County health departments.

Statewide, Missouri counted 502 COVID-19 cases and eight deaths.

Because there is clear evidence of community transmission, the criteria for testing has changed, according to the county Department of Public Health.

Get a diagnosis in virtual doctor’s appointment

HSHS Medical Group is waiving the fee for virtual doctor’s visits online through anytimecare.com for anyone who thinks they have symptoms for the COVID-19 coronavirus respiratory disease.

All visits not related to COVID-19 will be charged the regular fee of $29. If lab tests are needed, the patient’s insurance will be billed.

Through the website, a board-certified medical provider can diagnose and treat non-emergency health concerns, prescribe medications and refer individuals for in-person care as needed.

“Using Anytime Care helps patients minimize possible exposure to COVID-19 with a virtual visit,” said Melinda Clark, chief executive officer of HSHS Medical Group. “Anytime Care providers are equipped to assess patients who may be experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and provide instructions on next steps for the patient’s health and the safety of those around them.”

To start a visit, go to anytimecare.com, download the mobile app or call 1-844-391-4747.

East St. Louis-based Illinois National Guard activated

Gov. J.B. Pritzker has called on National Guard soldiers based in East St. Louis to help with the state’s response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Illinois National Guard announced that the governor activated about 60 more soldiers and airmen, including those from the 1844th Transportation Company in East St. Louis, on Thursday, adding to the team of about 200 now helping statewide.

About 50 of the East St. Louis guard members will help distribute medical supplies and equipment from warehouses in central Illinois, the Illinois National Guard said.

REAL ID deadline extended

The federal government’s deadline requiring U.S. residents to have a REAL ID driver’s license to board a plane for domestic flights has been extended by one year to Oct. 1, 2021.

“Current Illinois driver’s licenses or ID cards will continue to be accepted at airports, military bases and secure federal facilities until Oct. 1, 2021,” the Illinois Secretary of State’s office said in a news release Thursday.

Secretary of State Jesse White has closed the state’s driver’s licenses offices to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus and he previously asked the federal government to delay the implementation of the new driver’s license deadline.

The REAL IDs have a gold star on them and you need to bring additional documentation with you when you apply for one.

Program will call isolated seniors

Programs and Services for Older Persons, an arm of Southwestern Illinois College in Belleville, is offering to call senior citizens daily, weekly or biweekly to check on their well-being and give them someone to talk to while in coronavirus-related isolation.

Executive Director Cheryl Brunsmann is overseeing the new program, which is helping clients but also providing at-home work for two volunteers and about 10 staff members who were displaced when PSOP closed its downtown headquarters.

They’ve already developed a list of about 3,500 people who have received the PSOP newsletter in the past two years. Anyone can add a senior citizen’s name to the list of call recipients by contacting Brunsmann at 618-234-4410, ext. 7023, or cherylbrunsmann@swic.edu.

College dorms considered for COVID-19 patients

St. Louis County Executive Sam Page told St. Louis Public Radio that the county’s health department and area hospitals have had talks with universities about using dorms for COVID-19 patients who either need to be quarantined or who are recovering after being released from the hospital.

Lindenwood University-Belleville, which has vacant dorm rooms, does not have a formal agreement to allow the dorms to be used for COVID-19 patients but the school is ready to assist if needed.

“As a committed community partner we are ready to assist where and when needed, and while there is no formal agreement in place, we will continue to monitor the situation and stand ready to do our part if needed,” Lindenwood University spokesman Chris Duggan said in an email to the BND.

Lindenwood’s main campus is in St. Charles and the college has announced it is ending its daytime undergraduate academic programs in Belleville.

Scott Air Force Base raises HPCON

Scott Air Force Base in southern Illinois raised its Health Protection Condition from “Bravo” to “Charlie” on Thursday evening as a response to the growing number of coronavirus cases in the region.

The base said that at the Charlie level, it will require ID checks at every entry point to the base. It also said it would establish entry control points with COVID-19 screenings at all high density work centers. Daily screenings have already been recommended at all other work centers where members are required to report for duty.

Postponed and canceled events

The News-Democrat has compiled a list of events in Illinois and St. Louis that have been canceled due to concerns about coronavirus.

You can find the list at BND.com.

Want to help? Here’s what you need to know

The BND has compiled a list of ways you can help during the coronavirus pandemic.

Go to BND. com to learn about the opportunities to volunteer your time or donate to help communities in the metro-east without putting yourself or others at risk.

You can sew face masks, read stories for people with vision loss and deliver meals to seniors.

If you know of a recognized charitable organization looking for help that isn’t listed, please tell us about it; send an email to newsroom@bnd.com or fill out the BND’s Southwest Illinois coronavirus service and assistance guide online at BND.com.

Get the latest news on coronavirus

BND.com will keep you updated through the day with information about the spread of coronavirus through southwestern Illinois.

You can also find the most complete and up-to-date information from government sites including:

State of Illinois’ coronavirus page: coronavirus.illinois.gov

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html

Federal government’s coronavirus page: cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

How to contact the BND with tips, concerns

If you have suggestions about something for the BND to cover regarding the coronavirus pandemic or if you see a report that sounds suspicious on social media or anywhere else, please drop us a note at newsroom@bnd.com and include a link. We’ll check it out.

If you’re a health care worker, we’d like to hear from you

The BND would like to speak with nurses, doctors and other health care professionals who are on the front lines caring for patients in doctor’s offices, clinics and hospitals during this difficult time. We’re interested in hearing about your challenges and rewards, frustrations and accomplishments. How is this affecting you? Send us an email at newsroom@bnd.com.

This story was originally published March 26, 2020 at 12:00 AM with the headline "Thursday live updates on coronavirus: New cases in St. Clair, Madison, Clinton counties."

Lexi Cortes
Belleville News-Democrat
The metro-east is home for investigative reporter Lexi Cortes. She was raised in Granite City and Edwardsville and graduated from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville in 2014. Lexi joined the Belleville News-Democrat in 2014 and has won multiple state awards for her investigative and community service reporting. Support my work with a digital subscription
Hana Muslic
Belleville News-Democrat
Hana Muslic has been a public safety reporter for the Belleville News-Democrat since August 2018, covering everything from crime and courts to accidents, fires and natural disasters. She is a graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and her previous work can be found in The Lincoln Journal-Star and The Kansas City Star.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER

Keep up with all the coronavirus news in southwestern Illinois

Stay updated with the events in southwestern Illinois that have been canceled or postponed because of coronavirus concerns.